4.18.2011

Slowing Down

I am easily distracted...there I said it...

...wait what was I saying? ;) So I decided to do something about it. For those of you who aren't, I applaud you. It's a well-honed skill to be able to tune things out. Me, I have stubborn, determined blood running through these veins and by the grace of God that's clearly what sees me through to the finish at times.

I have given up Facebook for Lent, and while you're not supposed to shout it from the rooftops when you do give something up, I am saying it because I really don't miss it much. I miss the quick connections and keeping up with friends, knowing how they are doing, but that's really all. I have been keeping my laptop upstairs, it is deciding to have a meltdown of its own anyway, and only use the desktop.

I won't go as far to say that it has made me a better parent. I think having the connection to others even in the virtual world can be a very good thing. I am certainly not one to stand in judgement or suggestion, but I will say I have done more with the little free time I have. So like everyone I am just trying to find that balance and sometimes stepping away completely helps you do it.

From the time I became a mother I was always looking for ways to capture, slow down, be in the moment; but my perfectionist self then made it my personal quest. Find out how to slow down, like it is another thing to do on my list, as if there were a science to it, an answer. Instead during this Lent I am finding the truth. While I am so good at preparing, organizing, getting ready for the moment and trying to remember to be in the moment, sometimes I just don't let go and do it. Yep that Type A personality gets in the way. While it has served me well and is what God gave me, I am now learning how to work it more in my favor. I was really good at it when it was the three of us, but our world turned a very good but crazy topsy-turvy (and we needed a ton of structure and routine with four babies), but now I am centering it again, lightening up, and it feels good.

In this area I will always be a work in progress, but surrounding myself with other women and moms who feel this way, reading books and blogs with wisdom I treasure definitely helps. I love Katrina Kenison's books and blog. Stop by for a visit and enter a book giveaway she is hosting and read some of her inspiring words.

When I stop to think about the truth, all I really want is to create a home as a family, a home we love, a place that is God-centered, faithful, safe, secure, thoughtful, empathetic, kind, joyful, fun, silly, and more seven times over.  Sometimes the rest is just noise, gravy, embellishment, and when you take time to think about it, simple looks pretty darn good.  


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...